Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Father's Shadow

I love when God uses my little children to teach me of His promises and how I should be living my own life! It’s is one of the many blessings that I am so thankful to God for in each of my children.


So my lil’ man, Matthias is almost 2 years old.
And that means that we have been starting to frequently hear:
*a whiny tone of voice
*the words “me do it myself” and
*tantrums if he is misunderstood or
*tantrums when frustrated because he can’t do something he has his mind set on.

So, as we were walking out of church, I heard the “tone” and looked back at Matthias who was walking behind daddy. At first glance, the protective mother in me quickly and pridefully thought, “why isn’t Pete following him or walking beside him?” And then Pete said to me, “he likes to walk in my shadow.” So, Matthias was getting frustrated because he was having a tough time staying in Pete’s shadow as they walked to the car.

I just turned around and continued walking to the car as I started to converse with God. Amazed. Reminded. Humbled. Asking God that Matthias would always choose to walk in the shadow His Heavenly Father and that Pete would be a godly eathly father to continue leading Matthias to the Lord. Then I started asking God to help me to slow down or move beind God to always remain in His shadow throughout my life on this earth in the highs and lows.

I was prompted to read up on the promises and commands of how to be and why to be in God’s shadow:

Psalm 36:7
“How priceless is your unfailing love, O God!
People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

Psalm 63:7
“Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.”

Psalm 91:1
“Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”
 
MY FAVORITE OF ALL
Isaiah 51:16
 “I have put my words in your mouth and
covered you with the shadow of my hand –
I who set the heavens in place, who laid the foundations of the earth,
and who say to Zion, ‘You are my people.’”

I am so thankful that we don't have to work so hard to walk in God's shadow and get frustrated. I am so thankful that Our God is Greater. Our God is Bigger. Just the shadow of His hand covers me and covers you. Wow! I can't wait until Matthias understands this great truth. There in the shadow we will find rest and refuge. Two things we will all need as we live this earthly life.
Yes, forgive me God for believing in a god that's so small. You set the heavens in place. You laid the foundations of the earth. You call me your own.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great post! It gave me great reflection to chew on and I've had opportunity to talk "shadows" with at least two people already this week for great encouragement. It struck me that it isn't has hard as we make it sometimes to stay in God's shadow because he is so huge, he casts an ENORMOUS shadow! In fact, the closer something is to the light, the larger the shadow it casts. And since God IS the Light, just think what that means about how consuming his shadow is. Wonderful, wonderful stuff to ponder and the scriptures you listed are absolute assurance and joy. What refuge we have in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a beautiful writer. Love this post. So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. May you experience the breath of Jesus in your life.