Saturday, November 2, 2013

When you think you will never have a moment alone...the need is still real.

It's a daily battle. Yet it's a daily joy all the same. The lack of doors I get to shut and the lack of locks I get to turn. It hit me as my hand smoothed the water running down the shower curtain as I strained to see my 2 year old sitting on the floor getting into daddy's books on his nightstand. I smiled and he sheepishly grinned back knowing my reflection was blurry. And to him it was only a game of hide-n-seek and a chance to be curious George without being caught.
 All I needed was a shower.
Needs.
So many needs in this life. Needs of a 5 year old, a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and needs of a tired hard working husband. As fun as the game of hide-n-seek and thoughts of, "oh no, I can't see him...what is he into now?"...
It's so easy in this life to get confused with what I really need and what I really want. I guess the truth was I needed a shower but I wanted the privacy. Sometimes I wonder if I could just turn all my needs into wants and to be honest I try. Denying myself and sacrificing for my family would be so much easier if I thought of it as a want. Wouldn't it?
If I could use the bathroom in peace, quiet, and privacy? If I could sit in my Jesus chair and hear more than that small voice, "me want to cowor" and then watch the scribbles cover overt he Holy words. Seems I am often straining through to get to what really matters. I find myself in frustration and self pity sometimes over these lack of closed doors and unturned locks. But today I find myself lying in bed fighting the tears and then feeling them dampen my pillow.
Oh Jesus, I want so much to deny myself and take up my cross and follow you. Why is it so hard to deny my needs?
And as I write this, it is 6 a.m.
I hear the cry from my 2 year old in his crib, "I want daddy. I want daddy." I continue to write hoping it's just a dream...I prayed through the heart wrenching cry from down the hall...
Oh I wish I didn't have needs.
I lifted myself from my Jesus chair to heed the call of my son and it hit me. I want to need. I want to need because Jesus didn't die for nothing. I am so thankful that I have needs. I can lay in my bed and call out, "Daddy. I want daddy. I want daddy." And He comes to me and walks with me and talks with me. All because my door is still open and unlocked.
And so now I sing this song even when I wish I could shut the door and lock it but there are needs around me constantly...
Lord I need you, Lord I need you.
(click on this link and worship with me and thank God for your need)

1 comment:

  1. May you always NEED more of Jesus and WANT more of Jesus, who sends His Loving Strong Spirit into ours to meet and fill us in whatever season of life we are in. I sit in my quiet house and I don't close the door to the bathroom & I take a shower only to be clean (not privacy). I remember the crazy times of kids and only wish I would have been more giving of myself. The world told me I needed "me time" and I felt for it many times with a wrong attitude. Beautiful song and blog - keep crying out for Daddy -- HE IS ABLE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. May you experience the breath of Jesus in your life.