Thursday, January 14, 2010

Does My World Have To Shake Before I Kneel?

Haiti Earthquake, January 12, 2010
“The countries most severe earthquake in over 200 years.”

I am numb. I am ashamed(of what I take forgranted). I am humbled. I am forgiven(of my lack of...).
So consumed with how to live the "American dream life" that it has taken more than a day for my heart to penetrate the reality of this current event. How I so easily forget that there truly is more than America. It bothers me to even type that sharp realization, but truth be told, I watch the videos of starving children, barren and dark lands, the chosen land of Israel yet my body doesn’t flinch sometimes that there is an entire world out there…”For God so loved the world…”
…always thinking about the trivial things of life: a better job/career for Pete (because he desires it so much), how to get my baby to sleep at night, how to enjoy my mornings as I race out the door with my two lil’ ones, finding motivation to work, paying the bills, etc. The list goes on. You have your own list I’m sure.
Yet, there are 3 million people directly affected (millions more indirectly affected) by the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake…One article spoke of Port-Au-Prince as ‘now the saddest place on earth.’ The tragedy, the shock, the silence after the storm; these are just some of the ponderings of it all. In the midst of it still people are looking for pockets of hope: hope that they will reconnect with family, hope that their home will not collapse, hope that food and water will come soon, hope that they wake up from a dream, hope that they will escape their misery, hope that their loved ones are in heaven, and mostly if they don’t know it yet hope that there is a Sovereign God that loves them that will someday be able to explain this horrendous stifling and fatal storm and save them eternally.

I am having a tough time moving from my numb state of mind to write anymore.

Suddenly, I have an overwhelming urge to kneel knowing full well that Jesus is still alive! I do want to ponder the sounds of the earthquake that brought hope to the nations. It’s Miracle’s favorite: the story of the stone that was rolled away proving that Jesus is alive! It’s the salvation message for all people. For it was ‘a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it’ (Matthew 28:2) that proved the awesome truth, granting life after death and salvation for a world of sinners. I do not in any way want these comments to downplay the strength and darkness and loss that this Haiti earthquake has brought. I cannot imagine the sounds of the land right now in such terror. I truly am numb and struggling to pull my thoughts together.
What my heart and mind desire is to somehow be sure to kneel for the world that God created when any part of it shakes, not just my little world.

I just want to pray (so if this is too intimate for you, you can stop reading now) or you can join me:

Lord God, You alone are creator of heaven and earth. Even the wind and the waves obey you yet in times like this people question your Sovereignty…will you be the Almighty Comforter to the people of Haiti right now? You are the provider of all things, provide them with food and water please. Because you are the Author of Life, you save the living from the dead. Bring hope to the Nations, that those who survived and all of us who witness will heed the call to draw near to you not run from you or blame you. Thank you for the cross where your precious son Jesus’ blood was shed to save us from our sins, to save us from this world that is not our home. Forgive me for the sake that it sometimes takes tragedy to bring me to my knees, but thank you that you are changing my heart to be more like yours by reminding me of your world that is more than just me and my lil’ family. As it says in Isaiah 58, you are the Repairer of Broken Walls and you can rebuild the lives of the people of Haiti. I feel so helpless but in the power of the Holy Spirit I claim authority in Jesus name to live for Christ that others may see and hear and believe. For you are The Way, The Truth, and The Life for all people and I ask that we all will hear the sounds of the life-giving earthquake that happened long ago proclaiming to us all that you Jesus have conquered the grave. Nothing is too hard for you. Have your way Lord Jesus. You see the larger picture and you are not numbed by all of this. I trust you and I run to you my strength and my redeemer. Yes, hallowed be thy name.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Nathan had a link on facebook and I am so glad he did. I really appreciate your post. This tragedy has been humbling to me as well. It took me too long to really pay attention to what was going on and to pray.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. May you experience the breath of Jesus in your life.